Monday, December 11, 2006

Malaysian Whizzkid




Whizzkid makes it big with Palm

I bought my Palm m515 way back in 2001 or earlier. All I did with it is to use it as a glorified address book, and an appointment book. Nowadays I use it to refer to documents that I sync-d.

But there is a Malaysian 16 year old boy who tinkled with his Palm which his dad bought for him when he was 10, and created additional software and posted it on Palm and Google websites. He gets paid RM4 everytime someone downloads his software. If he can do it, so can we!

To read the full write up about Pradeesh Parameswaran, click here This is what he said in the interview:

I noticed the software was inadequate six years ago. So, three years ago, I decided to write a small software and called it ExpenseIt for Palm and Google and posted it free on their websites.”

At the time he wrote the software, which was an expense-tracking program for handheld users, he did not know anything about software programming.

To date, he has not attended any IT classes either.

“With the help of Google and widely available resources on the Internet, I slowly learnt how to write programs,” said Pradeesh, whose favourite pastime is playing with his dog and listening to music.

“I learned how to develop a program from the simple Hello World Programme to a simple calculator programme.

“It took me eight months to learn the basics, and I slowly started to code my software so that anyone who wanted to use it would have to get the password from me by e-mailing me.”

0 comments:

Google