Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Alma Mater

What now, Alma Mater?

My Alma mater, University of Malaya (fondly called UM), has been in the limelight in recent days. Its' position in the ranking of top universities of the world has dropped from position no. 169 (in 2005) to position no. 192 (in 2006) in the THES-QS World University Rankings 2006/07. In the inaugural ranking in 2004, UM was placed on position 89. This means that this year's ranking is a drop for two consecutive years in a world university ranking. The only consolation is that the University is still in the top 200 universities of the world.

It used to be THE premier university that every young Malaysian secondary school leaver wants to go to. Now another university, University Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) has been ranked the premier Malaysian university. What a blow to UM!

Back in the 80's, I was one of 2 students from my high school to be accepted to do the Accounting degree at UM for that year. My entire neighbourhood wanted to know what my grades were - because the entrance qualification is high and I made it! I'm not sure, with such a ranking, how it will affect the employability of the current under-graduates in UM.

I hope the new (lady) Vice Chancellor of UM will do something to improve the situation. She did say, though, that the entire UM family will not rest on past glories. Way to go!

0 comments:

Google